https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: Starting Onions/Kale/Lettuce/Tomatoes/The Amazing Goldfinch

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Starting Onions/Kale/Lettuce/Tomatoes/The Amazing Goldfinch

Welcome back to my blog.  I posted many posts here on Blogger for about 5 years.  I hope you have enjoyed my posts where I talked in length about gardening and bird watching, and many related topics.  Photos are a large part of my posts and I hope you have enjoyed them also.

For the last year or so I have been posting on steempeak.com.  It is a very interesting platform that deals in cryptocurrency and has a large community of bloggers.  However, it has become unstable and I am not confident that it will remain viable.  In the meantime, if you want to visit and read my posts from the last year I would appreciate.   You can just search for "dansgardening" on this site to view all of my posts.

Since I have already posted in steempeak regarding some of my Spring plantings, I will recap here to get you up to speed.

Winter Sowing

This is a great technique which I have written about quite a few times on Blogger.  Since I am not sure how much longer steampeak will be available, I will reference you back to a post here on Blogger regarding  Winter Sowing from 2018.  It is a great technique which really does work.

This year I used this method to plant Romaine and Iceberg lettuce, and also several varieties of kale, and Swiss Chard.



This photo is of the Iceberg lettuce which has germinated very well and is growing quickly.  The Romaine, Swiss Chard, and Kale (see photo below) are also growing nicely.  I strongly recommend the Winter Sowing technique, although it is too late now to start seeds using this technique since Spring has sprung in most areas of the US.  However, if you live in a region of the world where there is still a month or so of Winter remaining, go ahead and give it a try.



 
In this photo you can see the kale on the far right started using Winter Sowing.  If you are new to gardening, I would recommend growing kale since it is easy to grow and is extremely hardy,  It will grow non-stop all summer, and can withstand quite a few frosts in the Fall.

On the left in the photo in the white containers, that I started from seed, are Sweet Spanish onions, American Flag Leeks, and Evergreen Bunching onions which are scallions.   I love to grow onions and leeks, and Sweet Spanish is one of my favorite varieties, as they are large sweet onions that also store fairly well.  Some onions are available as sets such at Stuttgart (yellow) and white onions.  Sweet Spanish, however, are only available by seed.  You may be lucky enough to find Sweet Spanish onion plants at your local garden center if you would rather not start them from seed.

I have also started some heirloom tomatoes from seed, and they are progressing nicely.  In my next post I will fill you in on the details of the varieties I am growing.  I am a huge fan of heirloom tomatoes and have been growing them for quite a few years now.  Their flavor is unsurpassed.  I have dedicated quite a few posts to heirloom tomatoes and will continue to do so in the future.

At the beginning of this post, I also mentioned that my blog involves bird watching, photography, and related topics.  Those of you who have previously read my blog know I am an avid bird watcher and I participate in several research projects.

To peak your interest, I will leave you with a recent bird photo of an American Goldfinch.  These birds are year round residents here in Central New York.  In the winter, the male's bright yellow color is subdued.  They are starting to get their brilliant color back during the last few weeks.  I captured this one at sunrise recently.



Thanks for visiting, and I hope you continue to follow my blog.

















No comments:

Post a Comment