https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: Planting Peppers/Springtime Birds

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Planting Peppers/Springtime Birds

Today I planted some peppers, which will probably be the last of the vegetables I will start inside this Spring. Even though we are getting another blast of winter as I write this with four inches of snow so far tonight  and white out conditions, the calendar does point to Spring.


Bull Horn Pepper



Burpee Hot Pepper Mix


The first variety I planted is the Bull Horn Pepper, which is a sweet pepper that grows to be about six or eight inches long, and ripens to deep red or bright yellow,  This is an Italian variety which I thought I would try for something different.

I also planted a hot pepper mixture from Burpee, which includes an equal mix of the following varieties: long red cayenne, large cherry, Hungarian wax, Anaheim chili and jalapeno.  This a mixture which I have used for quite a few years.

To plant the peppers, I used a seed starting tray with peat pellets as I described in my March 25th post, "It's Tomato Starting Time" (http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/03/its-tomato-starting-time.html).












Meanwhile, the Spanish yellow onions and leeks that I planted (see my post on March 8th, http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/03/its-time-to-start-some-vegetables.html) are doing quite well:



Finally, some photos of Spring birds, well at least two out of three.  The winter ones are still hanging around. The way the weather is tonight, the Spring birds may make a U Turn and go back South:



Dark-Eyed Junco


Common Grackle


American Robin
.
 Until next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment