https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: Rototilling the Garden/Bird Photos

Friday, April 25, 2014

Rototilling the Garden/Bird Photos

Welcome back and happy Friday to everyone!

Well it's that time of the year again to re-discover the garden.  With the hard winter we had this year, I was wondering if I would ever get back "in the garden" again.  Even a week or so ago it was extremely wet in our yard, but over the last week it has dried out considerably with the help of a lot of windy days.

So this past Monday night, I broke out my vintage 1979 Ariens Rocket V rototiller and went to work:


Lower Garden Before Tilling




The Ariens Rocket V


Last Fall I used my trim mower with a bagger to mulch some leaves around the yard which I then placed on my vegetable gardens,  Mulched leaves is one of the best organic materials to use to enhance your garden soil.  Of course cow or horse manure works well also.  As a general rule, it is always better to place any of these on your garden in the fall, so they have time to compost over the winter.

Upper Garden Before Tilling

In a few weeks I will be able to start the planting process, beginning with onions, a variety of lettuces, radishes and Swiss chard.

After tilling, the gardens looked a lot more inviting, at least to a gardener.  The long winter takes it's toll on the soil.  You may be thinking that it is a little early in the season to turn up the soil, however I like to work the ground before the sun has a chance to bake the soil which then makes it so much more difficult. Some areas I may re-till later in the planting season if necessary.

Lower Garden After Tilling, Being Investigated by my Resident Ducks


Upper Garden After Tilling

More to come in future posts about my ducks, the progress of my tomato and onion plants, and much much more.

Finally, some more bird photos thanks to my son who apparently has caught the birding bug!:

Northern Cardinal



Northern Cardinal & Song Sparrow

Until next time


No comments:

Post a Comment