https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: Planting Peas/A Visit From a Great Blue Heron

Friday, May 2, 2014

Planting Peas/A Visit From a Great Blue Heron

This past Sunday I started the annual ritual of planting the garden.  It felt good to actually start working in it after the long cold winter.

In my previous post (http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/04/rototilling-gardenbird-photos.html), I described how I rototilled the soil after placing some mulched leaves on the garden last fall which allowed them to "age" over the winter.  I have found that mulched leaves are worth their weight in gold when it comes to enhancing garden soil.

This year I decided to plant a row of Oregon Sugar Pod Peas, a prolific variety of snow peas.  This type of pea with the edible pod is delicious in stir fry and other recipes.  They are a great springtime vegetable, as they are known for thriving in the cooler weather.




The most important part of planting peas is the fence.  It's pretty much required to have a fence.  The variety I chose only grows slightly over two foot tall, so the fence I used (about 30 inches tall) is adequate. Some varieties can grow up to six feet tall.




This fence is galvanized and is the push in the ground type that is hinged.  It can be configured in various patterns.

After the fence is in place, the planting process is quite simple.  There are various planting techniques, including making the traditional trench to plant seeds.  In this case, I just simply placed all the seeds on top of the ground, spacing them 2 to 3 inches apart.  Then I pushed them into the soil,  approximately one inch deep, which is a good planting depth for peas.  Finally, I firmed the soil with my hand.





.

So hopefully in a week or ten days the seeds will sprout.  We've had about 1.5 inches of rain this week after I planted, so hopefully the rain will let up as not to wash away and/or rot the seeds.

Last but no least, we had a visit from a great blue heron this week and I was able to get a pretty good shot as the heron patiently stood watching for fish or frogs in our pond.  We usually get quite a few visits each spring and summer from this bird that looks like it's from the age of dinosaurs.

Great Blue Heron

Until next time.  Thanks for reading as always.
















No comments:

Post a Comment