https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: Tomato Blossoms/Picking Peas/Mystery Bird

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tomato Blossoms/Picking Peas/Mystery Bird

Hi everyone and welcome back.

The garden has been doing extremely well especially during the last few weeks of June as a result of the hot weather and adequate rainfall.  We received 6 inches of rain in June, which I believe is actually above normal for this area.  A garden usually gets to a stage in later June where it really starts to thrive.  That time has arrived.





Tomato Update:

The tomatoes are growing in leaps and bounds as is the rest of the garden, and are now in blossom.  Upon closer inspection, I discovered my first green tomato on one of my heirloom plants.  However, within a week or so there will be many more tomatoes forming.  So far I haven't seen any evidence of blight, which has been prevalent in this area for the last 4 or 5 years. There are measures you can take to help prevent and/or control  the blight on tomato and potato plants.  I will discuss this topic in future posts.







For those of you who haven't read my previous blog entries regarding which tomato varieties I planted this year, I covered this information in my entries of March 25, 2014 (http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/03/its-tomato-starting-time.html) and April 7, 2014 (http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/04/planting-more-tomatoes-more-heirlooms.html).

Peas:

A few days ago, I picked my first batch of snap peas.  This year I planted one 15 foot row since I haven't planted them in a few years.  I haven't always had good luck growing peas, however this year has turned out to be a good year.

I planted the peas about one inch deep along a 30 inch high fence.   Peas need the support of a fence or trellis, some varieties can grow as high as 5 to 6 feet.

I gave the first small batch to my daughter, hopefully the next batch will be a little larger in a few days.


Oregon Sugar Pod Peas

For more information on planting peas, see my post from May 2, 2014 (http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/05/planting-peasa-visit-from-great-blue.html).

Mystery Bird - Help Me ID This Species:

Finally, a week ago or so I saw a different bird at my feeder and on the lawn that I struggled to ID.  It has been hanging around and I see it daily.  I'm usually pretty good at species identification since I have been a bird watcher since I was 10 or 12 years old.  Take a look at the photos below and let me know what you think.  I have never seen this bird or at least have never noticed it.  I will write my guess at the end of the post:

Mystery Bird


Mystery Bird
Let me know what you think. Remember, I live in central New York State.

My guess is:


?


?


?


?


?


?


?


?


?


?

Brown Thrasher.  Right or wrong?  Let me know.


Until next time










No comments:

Post a Comment