https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: Veggies 101-Onions

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Veggies 101-Onions

Each season I usually plant 3 or 4 varieties of onions.  Scallions are a staple in my garden every year.  I normally start these from seed indoors in late February or early March, and then transplant into the garden in mid May.  There are quite a few different scallions available, but I haven't found significant differences in them. Most are white but there a few red types.  I will discuss indoor seed starting as the time get closer.

Scallion Seed Packet Example

Next on my list is another staple, yellow onions (Stuttgarter type).  These are widely available as onion sets in many stores. These onions always grow very well and are an excellent onion to store over the winter (another future blog topic).

Yellow Onion Sets

Some years I also grow red onions which are also available as onion sets.

Red Onion Sets


Finally, my favorite onion I grow is the Spanish Sweet Yellow onion.  These are not available as sets so I normally start these from seed also.  Sometimes you can find these as plants but not every year at least in my area.  These onions can get very large and are very mild.  They store fairly well also.

Yellow Sweet Spanish Onions

Until next time.







No comments:

Post a Comment