https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: More Winter Sowing/Seed Starting Supplies

Saturday, February 22, 2014

More Winter Sowing/Seed Starting Supplies

Winter Sowing

In my post on February 4th, 2014, I described in detail the technique of winter sowing:  http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/02/winter-sowing.html

It is a great way to start cold hardy vegetables in a low maintenance way.  The containers can be left outside until the seeds germinate in the spring.  Nature will take care of them.  Only after they sprout will they start to need care.

I originally planted romaine lettuce and leeks.  Tonight I planted two more containers, one with Lisbon white bunching onions (scallions), the other with red serpent loose leaf lettuce:


I placed the containers outside in the snow next to the ones I planted a few weeks ago.  Those can be seen on the left, just the tops of the jugs are showing.  We had a few snowstorms in between!




Below is a photo showing the seed starting soil that I used for this batch of winter sowing.  This type of soil (or a similar one) should be used for all of your seed starting. It is not advisable to use dirt from your garden since it probably contains bacteria and fungi that may interfere with germination and proper seedling growth.



Seed Starting Supplies

Today I did a little more browsing for seeds at some local stores.  I didn't end up buying any since I already have most of what I need.  However, it's always fun to look:






I did buy some seed starting trays.  I will use these to start tomatoes and peppers indoors in mid March. That will give then enough time to grow to a decent size before they will be transplanted into the garden in late May or early June.



These mini greenhouses use what are called peat pellets.  When water is added, the pellets expand to about an inch or so high and provide a great seed starting medium.  They come with a clear plastic lid which creates greenhouse type conditions for the seeds to sprout.

 I will write a more in depth post on indoor seed starting when the time gets closer.

Finally, as an added bonus, A great sunrise photo that I took at my house during this past week:


Until next time.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment