https://www.bestcpmnetwork.com/wm8r0f4h?key=71e22323cafc6f23c987737c78d66ca2 Dan's Gardening and Birding Blog: Lettuce Blends/My Seed Orders Have Arrived - Part 2

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Lettuce Blends/My Seed Orders Have Arrived - Part 2

In my last post (https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7818050104445836783#editor/target=post;postID=5185417455805835898;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=1;src=postname) I talked about heirloom and artisan tomatoes that I order from seed catalogs.

Tonight I will talk about a couple of different lettuce blends I decided to try.  I previously talked about planting romaine lettuce, loose-leaf blend, and a mesclun blend in my post on January 30th, 2014:  http://dansgardening.blogspot.com/2014/01/planning-which-vegetables-to-plant-part.html.  I am still holding true to this, I am just trying a different loose-leaf blend and mesclun blend.

The first blend I will try is Summer Glory Blend from Park Seed:

Summer Glory Blend - Park Seed


From their catalog description:

We have chosen 7 varieties for this blend, including butterheads (Boston lettuce), crispheads (iceberg), Romaine, and loose-leaves. Several have stunning red highlights on their foliage; all are guaranteed tasty and crisp even into the dog days of summer! These are all premium named varieties, available as a mixture only here at Park Seed, where we know about long, hot summers!

This seemed like a winner of a blend to me since it contains types of lettuce my family enjoys plus it is supposed to hold up in the summer heat.

The second blend I decided to test is also from Park Seed and is called Salad Bowl Mix.  It contains mustard greens, arugulas, and lettuces:

Salad Bowl Mix - Park Seed

This blend is a mesclun mix similar to one I have planted in the past but they all vary slightly.  We shall see how these turn out.  An interesting part of gardening for me is to try different varieties to see if better ones can be found.

In my next post I will get back to birding with my results from the Great Backyard Bird Count.  I have captured some more photos, but I must give credit to my son for the one below.  It has been an interesting weekend for bird watching and tomorrow is the last day of the GBBC.



Mourning Dove and American Tree Sparrow


Until next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment